Welcome To Qingdao Government Affairs Website!
How can I use electrical appliances?
Qingdao Government | DECEMBER 28,2021

Question:How can I use electrical appliances?


Hotels generally provide wall outlets in every room. China uses a 220 volt power supply for standard domestic and business purposes.

To avoid damage to your device, please follow these guidelines:

(1) Read the label on your device first, if it specifies only "120 volts" (USA and Japan), do not plug it in.

(2) Avoid turning the power on and off from a wall switch while your device is plugged in.

(3) Use a surge-protector with your laptop, especially if it is an older model.

(4) Please ensure the plug is firmly inserted in the outlet.

(5) Please do not allow children to plug or unplug devices.

Many electrical outlets are versatile, accommodating many types of electrical plugs. Exercise care in your use of electrical outlets. Your electrical device may have a plug that fits in the electrical outlet, but your device may be damaged by the electricity if it is not designed  to use 220 volts.

New laptop computers and new mobile phone chargers from the larger manufacturers are likely to be able to work with Chinese electrical outlets. If you can not use your mobile phone charger you can probably buy one (likely less than 50 RMB) at a local mobile phone store.

Because our outlets can accommodate so many types of plugs, care must  be exercised when inserting the plug in the outlet to ensure the contacts are firmly in place. Straight two-pin rectangular (US and Japan style) and cylindrical plugs (German and European style) and triangular 3-pin plugs (heavy-duty appliance style) can be used.

Relevant recommendations
How can I make domestic long distance calls or international calls in China?
Tourists can make domestic long distance calls or international calls from their hotel room and the call charge will be added into the hotel expense. Domestic long distance calls and international calls can be made from post offices and public phone booths near the scenic spots, shops, and entertainment venues. The charge is to be paid after the call.
How many children in China can foreign adopters adopt at a time?
Foreign adopter may adopt one child only, male or female (unless the adoptees are twins or brothers and sisters living in the same charity authority). If the a foreign adopter who has already adopted a child in China still want to adopt another one in China, he or she should deliver adoption application and family situation report again one year after the first adoption.
What should I know about restrooms, and where can I find them?
Travelers can easily find free public toilets on the street, in office buildings, shopping centers, supermarkets, hotels and  fast food restaurants. Restroom may contain Asian style toilets, western style toilets or a combination of both styles. Some Asian style restrooms do not supply toilet paper so visitors are encouraged to have a personal supply with them if using these facilities. Hand washing is encouraged after visits to the restrooms and usually soap will be supplied; however, visitors may find it convenient to carry a small supply of hand washing chemical which may be purchased in small bottles or small "wet-nap" towels.
How can I use electrical appliances?
Hotels generally provide wall outlets in every room. China uses a 220 volt power supply for standard domestic and business purposes.